The Lenovo Legion Y540 Charging Port Loose issue is extremely common among Lenovo users and users of this gaming laptop are said to have spent tons of money to fix this problem, often getting scammed by shop keepers.
Well you don’t have to worry anymore! because I’m going to tell you exactly how to fix the charging port issue and how to prevent it from happening again, although the steps might devoid your laptop of it’s warranty so I would advise you not to go any further and just claim your warranty instead.
But if your laptop is not under warranty then you can try these steps and 99/100 times they will work.
Why Does The Charging Port Get Loose On Your Lenovo Legion Y540?
- The most obvious reason for the charging port getting loose is that you’re probably pulling out the charging cable aggressively or you’re inserting it too fast.
- Another reason for a loose charging port is that the fixings inside the motherboard are getting loose due to excessive movement of the laptop, you often carry your laptop in a laptop bag and naturally the bag swings and moves a lot, causing the components inside your laptop to swing a long as well.
Sometimes, too much movement causes components to get loose but this happens when they don’t come from the factory in a good condition.
How To Fix The Issue
1. Bend The Pins Outwards Using Tweezers
By pulling and inserting the charging cable too fast/aggressively there’s a high chance that you’re going to bend the charging pins in the port, which then will fail to connect properly to the cable and will result in your laptop not charging.
This method of fixing the charging port is the most risky yet the most effective one, if this one works then you won’t have to try other methods. Here’s what you need to do:
- Get a pair of tweezers or hair pin
- Carefully clean the charging port with compressed air or a dry piece of cloth
- Identify the pins that are bent using a torch and mark them with a small marker
- After that carefully grab the pins one by one and pull them in the opposite direction of where they’re bent.
Make sure that you’re taking your time doing this because a slight mistake could result the charging port getting damaged permenently.
2. Clean The Charging Port
Sometimes all you have to do to fix the issue is to just clean the port, get a can of compressed air or a blower and clean the port thoroughly.
After cleaning the port with compressed air, get a piece of microfiber cloth, pour Isopropyl Alcohol and clean the port with it.
3. Inspect Your Laptop
This is more of a DIY thing but doing this may damage your laptop, here’s what you need to do:
- Unscrew the bottom of your laptop and carefully take out the battery and other components
- Locate the charging port which is typically located at the back
- Move it a little bit with your hand and see if it’s showing any signs of damage or if it’s loose
- If it has screws then tighten it
- If it doesn’t have screws then secure it using tape but make sure that the tape is located outside the laptop and not inside.
4. Replace The Charging Port
If you’re a laptop expert then it’s as easy as cake replacing the charging port, however, if you’re a complete newbie to this then I would highly suggest going to a laptop repair shop and telling them to replace it.
But If You Still Want To Do It On Your Own Then Here’s How You Can Replace The Charging Port On Your Lenovo Laptop:
- First you need to get a screw driver and unscrew the screws on the bottom of the laptop
- Then locate the damaged charging port, there’s going to be a small metal lid covering the port
- Unscrew the lid and pull it towards you gently
- After that, all you have to do is simply unscrew the damaged port, take it out and fix the new one securely
5. Change The Motherboard
Changing the motherboard is the most expensive thing that you can do, this should only be done when your laptop is not in warranty.
6. Claim Warranty
If your Lenovo Legion Y540 laptop is still in warranty then your best course of action would be to claim warranty because that way your laptop will be inspected by the company itself and they will fix the issue or provide you a good replacement.
Here’s How You Can Prevent Your Lenovo Legion y540 Charging Port From Getting Loose:
- Don’t Let Your Laptop Overheat
- Try Not To Jerk The Wire
- Don’t Pull The Wire Too Fast
- Be Gentle With The Laptop
- Try Not To Drop The Charger Or Your Laptop (Obvious)
- Use A Compatible Charging Adapter
These are some of the ways in which you can fix the Lenovo Legion Y540 charging port loose issue, but above everything else you should always make sure that you’re being gentle with the laptop and it will remain in good condition.