So your far cry 4 game is not launching or it’s giving the “file system failure aborting execution” error, this problem is faced by a lot of far cry 4 players and is quite common, but how does it happen?
Here’s What Can Cause “The File System Failure Aborting Execution” Error In Far Cry 4
Basically what happens is that when you update windows or make any kind of significant change with your operating system , the XML settings file of your far cry 4 game gets either corrupted or deleted.
And when you try to interfere with the games’ settings then the game crashed and gives the “file system failure aborting execution” error.
The problem is especially common when trying to change the audio settings of the game.
Here’s How You Can Fix The Problem
1. Turn Off Windows Defender
This is the most common solution to the problem, windows defender sometimes interferes with the games files so try to disable windows defender and/or real time protection and see if it fixes the error.
Here’s how you can disable Real Time Protection on your PC or Laptop:
- Go to the Start menu search bar, type ‘windows security,’ and select the first option.
- Click on Virus & threat protection.
- From there, click on Manage settings under Virus & threat protection settings.
- Turn off the switch under Real-time protection.
- Click on Yes on the prompt, and the Microsoft Defender will be turned off for you.
2. Regenerate The XML File
To regenerate the XML file, all you have to do is download the “Gamerprofile.xml” file from the internet or verify game files either from Uplay or steam , you can find the file on any of the far cry 4 gaming forums or you can simply download it from here.
When you’ve downloaded the file head into documents>mygame>far cry 4 and paste the XML file in there then launch the game as administrator.
3. Reinstall Ubisoft Launcher
Although this is highly unlikely but Ubisoft launcher might be causing the game to crash. Uninstalling and reinstalling ubisoft launcher will make sure that a clean installation is done, if your laptop or PC recently got infected with a malware or virus then that might have messed up the files of the launcher.
4. Verify Game Files
Whether you bought the game on steam or Uplay, the best thing you can do is to verify the game files, this will ensure that any missing files (including the Gamerprofile.xml) file is reinstalled correctly.
How To Verify Game Files On Steam:
- Open Steam
- On the left-hand Panel of steam, you can see the games listed there
- Right click on far cry 4 and click on properties
- Select “Local Files”
- Press the “Verify Integrity of Game Files” Button
Alternatively , you can also visit this link to see how to verify game files on steam or watch this video:
How To Verify Game Files On Uplay:
- Open Ubisoft Launcher/ Ubisoft Connect
- Click on Far cry 4
- Select Properties on the left hand side panel
- Click on “Verify Files” under local files
- if the launcher indicates that files are missing/corrupted then click on “Repair”
Alternatively, you can also visit this link or watch this video:
5. Make Sure That Game is Running On 64bit Windows
Far cry 4 requires a 64bit windows to run so make sure that you’re running the 64bit version of your operating system otherwise the game simply won’t launch.
6.Update GPU Drivers To The Latest Version
When the GPU drivers are outdated it tends to malfunction and gives a limited performance so it’s essential that you keep your GPU drivers up to date.
Here’s how to find the latest drivers for an Nvidia GPU:
Here’s how to find the latest drivers for an AMD GPU:
7. Make Sure That Your PC/Laptop meets the minimum requirements
Minimum requirements for Far cry 4:
|CPU||Intel Core i5-750 @ 2.6 GHz or AMD Phenom II X4 955 @ 3.2 GHz|
|OS||Windows 7 SP1, Windows 8/8.1 (64bit versions only)|
|VIDEO CARD||NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460 or AMD Radeon HD5850 (1GB VRAM)|
|DISK SPACE||30 GB|
|VIDEO RAM||1 GB|
As you can see in the table above, if your PC or laptop does not meet the minimum requirements for the game then it won’t be able to run the game , even if it manages to run the game it won’t be playable.
8. Reinstall Game After Disabling Windows Defender
Windows defender often tends to mess up with a lot of game installations because it mistakes the game files for malicious software and this especially happens a lot with repack and cracked games installations.
Uninstall the game completely and try to reinstall the game after disabling windows defender.
9. Run The Game as Administrator
This good old fashioned way often works wonders because sometimes the game has insuffecient permissions to utilize all of the resources of your computer, here’s how you can run the game as an administrator:
- Right click the game
- Click on “Run as administrator”
I’ve given you 9 ways on how to fix the “file system failure aborting execution” error in far cry 4, one of them is sure to fix the problem, for more amazing tips and tricks take a look at krunchytech.